Wednesday 4 April 2012

My Wednesday Garden

Have been maintaining this large garden for many years. It has been in the Open Garden Scheme a few times and peoples comments are usually about how no one has gardens like this anymore ! Its a very large block and has very wide garden beds and did have until recently two very large trees at the top of the garden. One of them, a liquidamber lost some very large branches a few months ago and unfortunately they crashed into the magnolia next to it. Some drastic pruning has taken place. Underneath was planted with many clivias, these have had to be moved because what was once full shade is now full sun.


The above photo is the liquidamber about half of it was cut off it was a very tall tree.







I have a bit of a thing for Salvias and Sedum at the minute hence below photos.





A really lovely garden and I have only shown you some of  the top half. A beautiful day to be outside in a garden like this today, it's one of the joys of my job.






8 comments:

  1. I can guarantee you that my mother will post something here about her love for liquidambers....

    love your niece C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C, the only benefit of it being chopped is that I don't have to rake up all the leaves wer hoo! cheers

      Delete
  2. Still a stunning garden. So much more welcoming than the drought-tolerant, banal, spiky, succulent-type gardens that seem to have been all the go the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally anon, most people are starting to pull out that spiky stuff now.

      Delete
  3. My child knows me too well! At least the entire liquidamber was not lost. I would love to have one of these glorious trees in our yard but sadly there will never be enough space.
    The garden above is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In your next garden you will have a Liquidamber.

      Delete
  4. Hello Guy the Gardener. I don't want to utilise you and your blog as an advice column but ... I also have a thing for salvias and wonder if I can ask you if you know if it is possible to grow salvias from cuttings, eg, from the house across the road ? I think there are over a hundred and something varieties and of course whenever I go the nursery, there is never the variety I want. I guess there is a salvia farm somewhere, anyway, just wondered if you might be able to advise ?

    I am Library Girl's friend Julz; I met you at this very open garden last year.

    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julz, happy to give advice if I can help. Re Salvias they can be grown from cuttings, although I usually divide the rhizomes after Winter. Might be a bit difficult for you to dig up the neighbors. Anyway have a look here and it gives you good advice on propagation, cheers G http://salvias.org.au/Plant_Information.htm

      Delete